Sunday, September 1, 2013

Liptember

All this month Im taking part in Liptember, to raise funds and awareness for Women's Mental Health.
Im in a group of lovely vintage wearing ladies, our team name is Vintage Vixens.
You can sponsor us here - liptember.com.au/vintage.vixens

Each year in September, Liptember has been raising awareness and donating funds to The Centre for Women's Mental Health, and we get to do it by wearing lipstick!


Vintage Vixens Liptember team: Miss Fairchild, Me!, The Quirky Quaintrelle Nora Finds

There is, of course, a reason why Im taking part in this. It is something very personal for me, I might not share it often or even show it, but I have been suffering from Depression and Anxiety since I was 13 years old.
Sometimes it's crippling, but most of the time Im able to fight back and have the strength to do it on a daily basis. It is such a common thing, and yet so many people still don't understand or recognise it.
It affects friendships, romantic relationships and your family. Im so lucky to have met people who can relate and understand the effect it can have on your whole life.

I started a Vintage Society here in Melbourne, which was terrifying, but Im so glad I did it and now have it as a way to make new friends and have something to look forward to.
Mostly I can be terrified of using the phone, but lately I've had to force myself to make multiple phone calls in a day and it feels great!
Im an incredibly stubborn person, so I try to use that in a positive way instead of letting it take over the negative thoughts.

The reason Im doing this is to help people to be aware that it can be happening to someone without you even noticing, or saying 'oh they're just anti-social' or 'they're lazy'. Look deeper, recognise the issue and offer help if you feel they need it, or even let them know you're there for them.

Wearing bright red lipstick for me is always such a mood booster, as is wearing vintage! I often don't care what other's think because I love it and it's for me and I think I look wonderful when Im in my vintage clothing and have on some red lipstick!

So please do sponsor whatever you can spare, every little bit helps, and spread the awareness!


Liptember Red lipstick and a cashmere 1950s sweater!
xx

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Thanks for sharing your experience with depression and anxiety. It means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful cause ladies! Thanks for being so open and honest about your own stuggles with depression and anxiety, its definitely something we do not discuss enough. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. phone anxiety - I call it phone phobia. Sounds totally stupid to most people but I get it! Such a good cause.

    http://inregardstoalice.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa, MarieBayArea, alittlevintagestory, Alice Hunt - Thank you so much for your kind words! Im happy to be open about my experiences and support others.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright, can I just say right now, how much I love this idea? New follower <3 Alex

    tobebeautifulingodseyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete